This is to inform all interested Applicant who may be qualified to apply for Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR) Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Programme. Therefore, Applicant must be qualified and eligible to apply for the online application.
All Applicant are to note that all applications close on 6th August, 2023. Do well to follow up on the basic requirements and procedures to access the application portal below.
How to Apply for NIMR Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Programme
About NIMR and the GMTP
In line with the Foundation’s mission, this programme presents a unique opportunity to establish and cultivate a robust network of passionate early career investigators. Initiated in 2019 with pilot funding from the Welcome Trust, the GMTP has been successfully grooming a new generation of researchers capable of conducting cutting-edge research and developing indigenous solutions for healthcare system challenges. Following the successes of the previous editions,
NIMR, in conjunction with the NIMR Foundation, is calling for applications from early career researchers across Nigeria for the 3rd iteration of the programme.
The primary aim of the GMTP is to foster a sustainable network of dedicated early career investigators equipped with the skills to create high-quality, competitive grant writing proposals, and develop effective healthcare research and development capacities within Nigeria.
To accomplish this, the programme will cover an array of essential skills and knowledge, such as:
- Understanding of health services research methods
- Formulation of research questions and hypotheses
Selection of appropriate statistical tools for data analysis
- Ethical considerations and permissions in research
Identification of funding agencies and understanding of funders’ requirements
- Writing compelling grant proposals
Understanding the peer review process
- Proficiency in communication skills including plain language summaries
Facilitation of mentorship through micro-teaching sessions
- Principles of establishing and managing partnerships and collaborations.
The GMTP will consist of a 21-day residential workshop held at the Nigeria Institute of Medical Research, located at 6 Edmund Crescent, Yaba, Lagos.
This programme targets early and mid-career researchers interested in enhancing their Grantsmanship and Mentorship capacities. A total of 30 participants will be selected for this training, which will be guided by the National Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Programme Curriculum developed by the NIMR.
The programme adopts a blended learning approach, combining online self-directed reading, on-site teaching, didactic lectures, role-plays, group discussions, micro-teaching sessions, online learning/webinars, peer-review simulation sessions, independent study time, and homework.
This comprehensive approach ensures that each participant gains in-depth understanding and proficiency in grant proposal writing.
Eligibility Criteria and Entry Requirements
Prospective candidates need to provide evidence that they meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Nigerian citizenship
Completion of research education
- Current employment in Nigeria by a recognised university or research institution with a significant part of the job role includes developing and conducting healthcare research
- No previous participation in similar grant-writing and/or proposal development training
- Limited or no experience in proposal development and grant-writing
No previously won significant local or international research grants
- Commitment to stepping down the training at the local institution within a period of 3 months after the training
- In addition, female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this training opportunity.
How to Apply
Applications close on Sunday, 6th August, 2023 at 11:59PM WAT. Interested candidates should apply online through the following link: Apply for the 3rd GMTP 2023.
- Successful applicants will be required to provide evidence of completion of the Ethics Course (CITI) prior to the commencement of the workshop.
- Participating in the NIMR Foundation’s Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Programme is a sterling opportunity for early career investigators to significantly enhance their research capacities, contributing to the development and improvement of Nigeria’s healthcare system.
- It represents a strategic investment in their future and the future of healthcare in Nigeria.
Thanks for staying in touch with us on NIMR Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Programme 2023 Portal