This is to bring all eligible applicant who may wish to apply for Wikimedia Foundation Open the Journalism Award 2023 Portal that the application for Wikimedia Foundation Journalism Award that the portal is open.
The basic step by step guildelines and instructions on how to apply for Wikimedia Foundation Journalism Award is updated below. Do follow up with the guidelines and procedures below.
Wikimedia Foundation Open the Knowledge Journalism Award 2023 Portal
This award holds significant value, as it acknowledges the crucial role that journalists play in generating well-researched articles. These articles become the bedrock for volunteer editors who develop content for Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. The initiative aims to broaden the knowledge base of one of the world’s most visited websites, making it more reflective of the various topics, events, and people that shape our understanding of culture and history.
Inviting African Journalists to Nominate Their Work
African journalists currently residing on the continent are encouraged to self-nominate articles they’ve written that expand our knowledge about Africa.
The categories for self-nomination have been selected with the assistance of Wikimedia contributors from Africa:
Arts, Culture, Heritage, and Sports
Health, Climate Change, and Environment
Women and Youth
Digital and Human Rights
The awards are impressive, with not only monetary rewards but also opportunities for networking and recognition:
First-place Award Recipient: The winner will receive a cash prize of USD $2,000, a trophy, a certificate of recognition, and an invitation to the African Regional Community Conference, Wiki Indaba, in November 2023. This platform will allow the recipient to share their journalistic experiences, challenges, and opportunities.
Second-place Award Recipient: The runner-up will receive USD $1,500 and a certificate of recognition.
Special Mentions: The Wikimedia
Foundation will also acknowledge an additional four nominees, one in each category.
All awardees (including special mentions) will receive widespread acknowledgment on the Wikimedia Foundation’s website and social media channels.
Interested journalists should adhere to the following criteria:
- Must be citizens of an African country and primarily reside in Africa.
- Articles must be about the African continent and must relate to the award categories.
- Articles should have been published between January 1, 2022, to June 23, 2023.
- Articles must be published in English.
- Submissions must be original work and should demonstrate in-depth analysis and/or investigative reporting.
- Proof of the article’s publication in the form of a link/URL should be provided.
- All submitted articles must be accurate, well-researched, and objective. Misinformation or misrepresentation of facts is strictly prohibited.
- Journalists must demonstrate ethical conduct and adherence to journalistic standards.
- Articles must be accessible for viewing without a paywall.
How to Apply for Wikimedia Foundation Journalism Award
Journalists can submit multiple articles, but the same article cannot be submitted in more than one category. The category should be chosen based on the article’s content.
Pan Atlantic University Scholarship (PAU)
Ekiti State Scholarship & Bursary Awards
OPEC Fund Annual Award for Development
City University of Seattle Presidential Merit Award Programme
APNI Young African Phosphorus Fellowship Award Program
Thanks for staying in touch with us on Wikimedia Foundation Journalism Award 2023 Portal