The NUJ Code of Conduct/ Ethics are the set of rules that guiding the Nigerian Journalism. Now everyone need to be conversant with the rules and regulations guiding the Nigerian Journalism. NUJ Code of Conduct/ Ethics is always the guild that will enable every individual know the dos and don’t of Journalism.
Nigerian Union of Journalist are the body enables the NUJ Code of Conduct/ Ethics to enables everyone to get involved in the decision making processes. Journalist who serve as the watch dog of the society has some basic principles that direct their affairs. Below are the NUJ Code of Conduct/ Ethics
READ THIS: History of Nigerian Mass Media Development
NUJ Code of Conduct/ Ethics
The following are the NUJ Code of Conduct enshrined in Journalism constitution;
A journalist :
- At all times upholds and defends the principle of media freedom, the right of freedom of expression and the right of the public to be informed.
- Strives to ensure that information disseminated is honestly conveyed, accurate and fair.
- Does her/his utmost to correct harmful inaccuracies.
- Differentiates between fact and opinion.
- Obtains material by honest, straightforward and open means, with the exception of investigations that are both overwhelmingly in the the public interest and which involve evidence that cannot be obtained by straightforward means.
- Does nothing to intrude into anybody’s private life, grief or distress unless justify by overriding consideration of the public interest.
- Protects the identity of sources who supply information in confidence and material gathered in the course of her/his work.
- Resists threats or any other inducements to influence, distort or suppress information and takes no unfair personal advantage of information gained in the course of her/his duties before the information is public knowledge.
- Produces no material likely to lead to hatred or discrimination on the grounds of a person’s age, gender, race, colour, creed, legal status, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- Does not by way of statement, voice or appearance endorse by advertisement any commercial product or service save for the promotion of her/his own work or the medium by which she/he is employed.
- Avoid Plagiarism.
Visit NUJ official website
Make use of the rate and subscribe to our newsletter.